The Delta Chi Fraternity was founded at Cornell University on October 13th, 1890. Delta Chi did not become a single member fraternity until 1909, at which time membership in Delta Chi precluded membership in any other college social fraternity. After WWI, many chapters began to stretch recruiting restrictions by initiating men who had no intention of studying law. This prompted a serious debate about the future of Delta Chi. Following an important nation-wide vote in 1922, Delta Chi became a general fraternity open to undergraduate students who were “pursuing studies in, law, liberal arts, journalism, commerce, or finance, or by whatever such name courses may be known.” Delta Chi continued to progress and take the lead as the first Greek letter fraternity to abolish “Hell Week” and all forms of hazing in 1929. Famous Delta Chis include William Jennings Bryan, former President Benjamin Harrison, Kevin Costner, and Ashton Kutcher.
Founded in 1893, the Northwestern Chapter was one of the original expansion chapters of Delta Chi and was originally located near the Northwestern University Law School in downtown Chicago. In 1997, the Northwestern Chapter was recolonized on the Evanston campus. Since then, hundreds of Delta Chi’s have called 619 Colfax Street their home. Recently, the first floor of the Delta Chi chapter house was remodeled as part of a long term complete renovation of the chapter house. Regarded as one of the strongest and closest brotherhoods on campus, our chapter continues to grow as an active member of Northwestern's Greek community.
Delta Chi recently moved from our previous location at 619 Colfax Street to 2309 Sheridan Road, located in the fraternity quad. It is a great location that places us a short walk from anywhere on North Campus. The house itself has over 20 singles for brothers to live in, a kitchen area, two washers and driers, and a modern furnished great room with a 60 inch 3D capable TV with premium channels. It is a great place to call home through the school year.